Re: auto-import STATUS

You know, I think the problem here is terminology.

1) auto_export()
   A function that is called in certain circumstances (detailed in
earlier message) that REMOVES "banned" symbols from the export list.

2) auto-import support when creating DLL's
   When creating a DLL, add special thunking symbols for DATA exports
that can be used by the auto-import function LATER --- when you're
linking a client app.  (Although it appears that these thunking symbols
must be added for ALL exports, not just DATA exports.  It's just that
they are only *needed* for DATA items).
   I think this it what Rob is thinking of when he says "--auto-export"
(which doesn't really exist).

3) --enable-auto-import
   When linking a client app to a DLL, attempt to use the thunking
symbols (if present).  Note that this only has any effect for DATA items
that are exported (thunked) by the DLL.  We "always" have allowed
'auto-import' of *functions* that are exported by the DLL (as long as
the DLL contains the appropriate symbols).

We need a good name for 2).  And the auto_export() function should
probably be renamed, since it is current a cause for confusion.
"filter_export_list()" ?  :->

--Chuck