Re: auto-import STATUS

On 03 Aug 2001 23:33:41 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>

> It sure looks to me that you're wrong on this one.  Pls give a code
> reference or empirical evidence for this statement.

I bow to thee. I haven't had my fingers deep in this for over a month.
My empirical evidence was repeated attempts while working on libtool to
prevent non-function .exe's. It sounds like I've got some wires crossed
here, so I'll bow out at this point.

What I thought happened was:
the --export-all-symbols forced exporting _all_ symbols, not
automatically filtered. This meant that we got _imp_ stuff from other
.dlls (but as forwarded exports which would be ok) and that caused grief
linking because libcygwin.a is appended to the list, meaning that
linking an exe to a dll that depended on cygwin, resulted in things like
__impure_ptr being resolved to the dll that depends on cygwin1.dll, not
to cygwin1.dll itself.

With libtool I found that after I patched ld to remove the core cygwin
symbols I also had to _remove_ --export-all-symbols before it was
corrected.

Still, you have the source and more test results in front of you..

Rob