Re: Problem with perl -i option

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Christopher Faylor schrieb am 2001-08-15, 10:36:
>

>>Unfortunately, our perl maintainer has gone silent.
>>
>>Is anyone here willing to pick up the perl maintainership?
>>

> I'm trying to build perl 5.6.1 according to the instructions from
> Eric's README, but i got problems with 'Term::ReadKey' from the CPAN
> Bundle:
> =======
> [...]
> Term::ReadKey is using TERMIOS, as opposed to TERMIO or SGTTY.
>
> Non-blocking reads possible via O_NODELAY, and select().
> O_NODELAY will be used. select() will be used for timed reads.
> Can't exec "resize": No such file or directory at blib/lib/Term/ReadKey.pm line 305.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at blib/lib/Term/ReadKey.pm line 306.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at blib/lib/Term/ReadKey.pm line 306.
> Unable to get Terminal Size. The TIOCGWINSZ ioctl didn't work. The COLUMNS and LINES envir
> onment variables didn't work. The resize program didn't work. at blib/lib/Term/ReadKey.pm
> line 323.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2

Search the archives.  There is a patch necessary for Term::ReadKey
(since when is Term::ReadKey part of the standard perl source?  That
*used* to be an add-on module distributed separately...)

 ===

> Don't remember how to solve this...
> Perl 5.6.1 up to patchlevel 11599 built fine beside this error.
> Also the other modules are o.k.
> I tried in rxvt-terminalemulation and also in standard terminal (cmd).
> Next i try to build with ntsec setting, maybe it works then.

Make install is probably going to go bananas if you're not using ntsec.

> I finished one complete build yesterday (with add. modules), but that was
> with libiconv and libcygipc and libdb.

Yes, official packages should not depend on non-official packages (with
the exception of postgresql which depends on cygipc).  Perl is "core"
enough that it should not require ANY external (non-official)
dependencies.  (i.e. no "cygipc" exception for perl).

--Chuck