Re: Autotools; new versions

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 02:45:48PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Robert suggested that debian has a wrapper that tries to infer which
> >> version of autoconf to run.
> >>
> >> Is this something worth considering?
> >
> >Yes.  But I think the requirement for separate install prefixes still
> >remains.  I don't know much about debian, tho, so take that with a large
> >chunk of salt.
>
> I was thinking that we'd somehow have one autoconf.tar.gz which had both
> versions and a magic wrapper to handle them.

I see the magic wrapper being nothing more than reading the configure.in
or configure.ac to get the AC_PREREQ value and creating the appropriate
symlinks to the correct versions before executing the tool.  BTW, I just
looked at the configure.in in newlib and the AC_PREREQ value is already
2.5.

Earnie.