Re: setup.exe & .tbz / .tgz

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:57:17PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>is setup.exe able to recognize packages with .tbz as bzip2 compressed
>and .tgz as gzip compresed?

Use the source and answer your own question!  A quick grep for "tbz" would
show you that it doesn't exist.  That would be a good hint.

Since setup.exe is intended to be a cygwin package installation tool
whose purpose is for the installation of cygwin packages from sites
which mirror sources.redhat.com (did I get enough qualifying words in
there this time or is someone going to try to pick semantic holes in
this statement?) we don't have any need to handle ".tgz" or ".tbz"
extensions.  We don't use them.

We've already had the discussion about how wonderful it would be if
setup.exe was a general purpose tool.  It is not a general purpose tool.
You might be trying to use it for other than its express purpose.  That's
fine.

Please let's not start the "But I use it to clean toilets and it works
great!" discussion again unless you are prepared to provide actual code.
We've already started a slow moving discussion towards generalizing the
archive interface.  We don't need to restart this from the beginning
unless it is actually dead.

cgf