tetex, latex, etc.

Hi,

I had tetex packages installed, I set the TEXMFCNF variable to point to my
web2c directory, but when I run "kpsewhich --expand-var '$TEXMFMAIN'" I'm
getting: //share/texmf. Moreover, it texconfig fails even if I put the
full path in TEXMFMAIN.
To install Tex both the texmf and the source code should be downloaded and
built. What are the exact steps to install it in cygwin? Seems that the
binaries are installed on the system, but how to connect them to the Tex
directory?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan