Re: setup.exe suggestion - link announcements to releases

egor duda wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Monday, 05 November, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:
>
> CF> After reading Corinna's reply to a cygwin mailing list message, it
> CF> occurred to me that if the releases that people see in setup.exe could
> CF> somehow be linked to the announcements, we could cut down on the amount
> CF> of email from people who don't check or don't know how to check on these
> CF> things.
>
> CF> It could be as simple as adding a "check release announcement" which
> CF> just did starts a browser with a cygwin-announce search term.
>
> wouldn't we better include important info about updating in the
> package itself, or along with it?
>
> not that i'm a big setup.exe fan, but reducing amount of noise in
> mailing list is certainly a good thing.

I suggested something like this before.  I would propose the
announcement to go into an appropriate section of the setup.hint file or
into a package-version-port.announce file that setup.exe also downloads
and displays in  a dialogue window with an OK button.

--
Earnie.