Re: setup.exe suggestion [ptsekov@syntrex.com: Re: sshd dies]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>

> Maybe we can force this by changing how the files are written?  If we
use
> the right sharing, maybe even Windows 9x will complain on overwriting
> file.

That might work. The current scenario to solve is:

User selects upgrade/uninstall package foo.
Setup deletes n files from foo, then finds a .dll it cannot delete.
Setup reports an error and the user is left with package foo broken.

What we need to do is check we can delete *all* files in the package in
advance. This includes .dll's, .exe's, and shared data files.

If we can find a shared mode such as you suggest, we could move all the
files 1 by 1 to file.setup.backup in the same dir (prevent cross disk
copying). And if that succeeds, then delete them all, if not rollback
the activity.

Rob