This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: spell & ispell
- From: Jason Tishler <jason at tishler dot net>
- To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre dot Humblet at ieee dot org>
- Cc: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:18:32 -0500
- Subject: Re: spell & ispell
On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:33:29PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > That is not much of a disadvantage, IMO. If it works as well as ispell
> > for every language besides English and works better for English then
> > aspell is better.
> I don't disagree. Although I am not a user of aspell, it looks like "it"
> (see * below) will eventually replace ispell. However I have no experience
> with it and looking at its home page http://aspell.sourceforge.net it doesn't
> seem to be stable. I'd rather not take responsibility for it at this point.
I can understand you reluctance, but I have been using aspell/pspell
as an ispell replacement for almost a year now. My experience is that
it builds OOTB, works *much* better than ispell, easily drops in as an
ispell replacement, and has caused me no grief at all.
I hope that you reconsider. Just in case, see attached for my build
--- Begin Message ---
- From: Jason Tishler <Jason dot Tishler at dothill dot com>
- To: Jason Tishler <jason dot tishler at ny dot dothill dot com>
- Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:57:21 -0500
- Subject: aspell/pspell build instructions
- Organization: Dot Hill Systems Corp.
$ configure --disable-ltdl
$ make prefix=/tmp/pspell/usr/local install
$ make prefix=/tmp/aspell/usr/local install
$ cd /tmp/aspell
$ strip usr/local/bin/*.exe
$ strip -g usr/local/lib/libaspell.a
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
--- End Message ---