Re: Contribution Package Proposal: JASSPA's MicroEmacs

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  sources.redhat.com is still going to
> be the main repository for all of the cygwin distribution and mirrors
> will be downloading from sources.redhat.com.
>
> So, you'll still need to have your package approved and uploaded to
> sources.redhat.com if you want the package to be part of the
> distribution.
>
> I can't see how that could possibly change.  We can't rely on other
> systems to be part of the official distribution.

Chris, we were discussing the (not yet available) new features of setup,
where setup.ini from DIFFERENT sources could be merged into a single list.
Since you can ALSO add your own download list (by manually typing in a
different location), the obvious extension is:

use download sites:
  ftp://favorite.cygwin.mirror/
  ftp://my.local.mirror/

where my.local.mirror contains a NON-cygwin "sanctioned" package.  Such
as, for instance, pre-submission versions of libtool, or JASSP Emacs, or
whatever...

This came up becuase MY answer to the question "can I submit JASSP Emacs
to cygwin" was "Well -- it's not free.  I'd prefer a truly free (speech)
emacs, like FSF Emacs or XEmacs.  But, (given above information) you could
put JASSP Emacs on your own site..."

--Chuck