Creating a local mirror for setup.exe

We've been creating a local Cygwin package "mirror" by
downloading to a networked directory and installing from
there. This seems to work, but you have to be careful to
prevent setup.exe from getting confused.

But now I need to change some of the packages in that
"mirror". I need to build Python with threads enabled
and I need to add SWIG. I've built the prerequisite
.tar.bz2 files. In the python case I bumped the "port"
from -1 to -2.

Simply copying the python file into contrib/python is
enough to make it visible to setup (although it is not
the default). The SWIG file needs an entry in setup.ini,
though.

If you delete setup.ini, you can actually install SWIG
and the other packages (they appear under Misc), but I
suspect this probably a bad idea. I'd like to simply be
able to update the setup.ini file. I saw some references
to an update_setup tool. Is that what we need? Or should
we do something entirely different?

I suspect that there might be a much better way to set
up a local mirror. We can even put it on an FTP server
if that's easier to deal with.

This sounds like it should be a simple RTFM question,
which I'll gladly do. Can someone please point me in
the right direction?

Thanks,

-Jerry

-O Gerald S. Williams, 22Y-103GA : mailto:gsw@agere.com O-
-O AGERE SYSTEMS, 555 UNION BLVD : office:610-712-8661  O-
-O ALLENTOWN, PA, USA 18109-3286 : mobile:908-672-7592  O-