Re: Link for MORE

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 02:29:01AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

*>Once the configuration tasks performed by base-files grows, why should
*>it be part of the "ash" package?  You don't want to redo the setup
*>scripts when updating ash.exe, do you?
*
*No, but there's no reason why installation of 'sed' should cause the
*creation of /etc/profile either.  I don't see any reason why this
*functionality couldn't either be part of ash/bash installation (although
*the /etc/profile that gets created isn't really ash-aware) with some
*intelligence for not overwriting the profile file.

I don't see any reason why /etc/profile should be in a generic package.
I can see things like /etc/passwd and /etc/group, which everything
relies on, but /etc/profile is something that bash or ash reads.  If
neither is installed, then /etc/profile shouldn't be installed either.

Actually, I don't think there is any reason to have a default
/etc/profile for ash.  I think it is really only useful for bash.  The
current /etc/profile seems to assume that it is running under bash.
However, it really should be more ash friendly since ash reads
/etc/profile.  Either that or maybe ash should read something
other than /etc/profile.

cgf