RE: Keeping base, adding standard.

I see your point. I can articulate the difference but I'm not sure it
helps the on-screen UI issue. A category is a attribute of a package.
'bash is a shell'. Something like the standard collection (which I agree
we need) is a collection of packages to serve a particular type of user,
rather than an attribute of the packages. It's my belief that we will
run in management headaches with the categories if we take the approach
of changing the package attributes rather than storing the collection as
it's own descrete 'thing'. As I've said however... there are ways and
ways.

> >>I hope this doesn't mean that I have to go back to
> maintaining setup
> >>but I don't think anyone is going to convince me that
> adding another
> >>layer to the process is going to improve the user experience.
> >
> >You are of course welcome to resume the mantle anytime you feel the
> >need.  I'm surprised that a discussion point would bring it
> up though.
>
> I just meant that I am extremely unlikely to agree with you
> on this one. So, I won't be willing to let setup grow in this
> direction.  I would not blame you if you felt that your
> creativity was being hampered.

If the decision is made, and it's not going to alter, and you are not
willing to talk through it, then  I might feel somewhat unhappy. However
that is unlike you, so I'll not prejudge the situation.

I took up the mantle expecting to serve the community that has provided
me with many things - this is something I can offer back... so I don't
expect to control whats offered with iron fists. I do expect to control
the how and when of the implementation though.

> Maybe a way to resolve this is for there to be a testing
> version of setup.exe where we can experiment with different
> user interfaces or methods of doing things.  We could even
> put a link to the testing version of setup.exe on the cygwin web site.

I encourage anyone who wants to experiment with code that needs some
revisions to get 'just-so' to create a branch using the cvs* scripts in
the winsup/maint dir. Simply cd to cinstall, and create your branch from
there, using a name like "cgf_newui". It'll create a new dir with the
branch info, you'll need to either update to the tag in your current
dir, or switch the directories around. FWIW I have cinstall symlinked,
and a number of directories with different tags, so I can switch very
easily.

Rob