Re: Now that the new setup is here...

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:31:17PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>The only thing I can think of to do is to get rid of latest/contrib and
>>move to something else, like 'release', with all of the current
>>directories located underneath.
>
>You mean like:
>  cygwin/latest/zlib    --->  cygwin/release/zlib
>  cygwin/contrib/libpng --->  cygwin/release/libpng
>  cygwin/xfree86/*      --->  cygwin/release/xfree86/
>?
>
>FWIW, I like this -- provided it won't cause problems...

Yep.  That's what I mean.

>>AFAIK, this won't cause any undue download activity will it?
>
>It will cause dumb mirroring tools (that cannot handle dir moves) to
>download all of the stuff from the new location.  Wget, for instance,
>but probably also some of the official mirrors may hammer sourceware.

I guess I could do all of this with symlinks and slowly migrate things
into the new hierarchy.

>>Regardless, I'm with Robert.  setup was never designed to be a mirroring
>>tool or a site deployment tool.  If people are relying on a particular
>>directory arrangement then, er, tough...
>
>Agreed.  I have a pretty clever (IMHO; although, being based on wget it
>qualifies as "dumb" according to the definition above) wrapper around
>wget that I use to mirror the cygwin dist; I wonder if it would be
>useful to provide that somewhere (cgf's magic script area in the
>repository?  Some other "random useful stuff here" repository?).  Then,
>when people complain about setup, we say
>
>"Here.  Go use THIS tool, HERE, and don't try to fit the (setup) round
>peg into the (mirroring) square hole"

I've been contemplating something very much like that, actually.  I guess
that's no surprise.

I was thinking about polishing up and checking in the simple setup .bat
file that I posted a while ago but I was wondering if that would lead
to real confusion.

"I used the cgfdeploy tool to download setup.exe but when I run
setup.exe it just displays a bunch of windows.  What's going on?  I
thought cgfdeply was supposed to be a simple mirroring tool!"

I also have a friend who's working on and off on a web based install,
fwiw.

>instead of
>
>  "Setup isn't a mirroring tool.  Go away and use something else.
>Anything else."
>
>.....OR......
>
>does sourceware (or any of the official mirrors) provide anonymous
>rsync?

sourceware provides anonymous rsync.  It's a resource hog but it is
available.

I don't know if I want to advertise it too widely, though or there
will be 257 people trying it out tomorrow.

We already suffer from people firing off 4 ftp sessions at a time
to download their favorite tools.  I can just imagine what will
happen when people experiment with rsync.

I did get the new sourceware system today.  I set it up in my office
(I'm not working from home anymore) where I cleverly killed the sshd
daemon so that I can no longer access it to configure it.

Once that box is deployed we should have some excess capacity for things
like rsync and maybe we can even allow downloads from
sources.redhat.com again.

cgf