Re: cygwin port of Pine

Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am sending this message, because I have built Pine for cygwin, and I
> would like to know if the cygwin community is interested in distributing
> this package. I would maintain the package, that's not a problem at all.
> The Pine developers team also approves that I do this job (including
> redistribution of the binary), so the only missing part would be to know
> if you are interested in including this package.
>
>   Below you can find a first version of the "setup.ini" file. If you are
> interested, the binary and source packages can be found at
>
>  http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/cygwin/
>
>  I appreciate all feedback that you can provide. Thanks.
>

> category: Mail
> requires: crypt cygwin
> sdesc:    "A console E-Mail and Newsreader program, it includes Pico"
> ldesc:    "Program for managing E-mail and News (USENET). It supports
> 	IMAP/(E)SMTP/POP3/NNTP/MIME. It includes the editor Pico"
> curr: 4.44-1

First, the packages need to be renamed (note the '-' between 'pine' and
'4.44'.  Otherwise, you have version #1 of the 'pine4.44' package, not
release #1 of version #4.44 of the 'pine' package.

pine-4.44-1.tar.bz2
pine-4.44-1-src.tar.bz2

Second, you also need to add openssl to the requires: line, because the
binary you include DOES need that DLL.

Third, /usr/doc/Cygwin/pine4.44-1.README should be renamed (add a '-'),
and /usr/doc/pine/ should probably be /usr/doc/pine-4.44/ ...

Fourth, you might consider installing the man pages into /usr/man/man1,
and other doco (doc/technotes/*, etc) into /usr/doc/pine-4.44/

Fifth, /usr/doc/pine4.44-1.patch doesn't belong in the binary package,
it should be in the -src package.  Recommend just copying it into your
(already patched) -src like this:

pine4.44-1/CYGWIN-PATCHES/pine4.44-1.patch

and re-tarring the -src package.

And Lastly, it's setup.hint, not setup.ini -- and you don't need to
specify curr: 4.44-1.

Other than that, sounds great! :-)

--Chuck