Re: setup changes to build standalone

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:03:05PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>To build setup we need:
>a mingw bz2lib
>a mingw zlib
>w32api
>in the future (soon I hope):
>a mingw libstdc++ (and any dependencies it has).
>
>So,
>I've made a copy of bz2lib from src/winsup/bz2lib to set/bz2lib, and
>adjusted accordingly.

Ack.  Duplication.  Duplication bad.

Here was a good reason not to move cinstall.  Sigh.

I can't think of any way around this, though.  Even if we say
"You must have a mingw version of libbz2.a available" that will
screw up my need for this library in winsup.

I wonder if we need a "mingw-libs" package.

>A second issue is that I cannot get configure to play nice in the new
>location without updating to 2.5x. That doesn't concern me, does it
>concern anyone else?

Nope.

>The configure line to prepare a website version of setup will be:
>../setup/configure' --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin
>'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin' 'CXX=g++ -mno-cygwin'.
>
>It should configure and build a cygwin1.dll linked version quite happily
>if the --host parameter is left off. That may also be useful for test
>builds and the like, and also for building command line mirroring tools
>etc etc.

1) Why the --host=?  So that you'll be able to use a mingw version of
   everything?

2) The above won't work in a cross build environment.  You could say
   CC='i686-pc-cygwin-gcc -mno-cygwin'..., I guess.

>I'll post a patch (probably up on sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup)
>when I've got everything ready. (It's gonna be big (at least the size of
>bz2lib :}) or I'd just drop it here). Then if a couple of folk have
>success with it, I'll check it in.
>
>Any comments, peanuts, etc?

I think you should just check it in and tweak things in cvs rather
than post a patch.  It's not going to impact anyone but a tiny
handful of people if you use cvs but it will impact a much larger
audience if you send out patches.

>On a separate but related topic, I'd like to automakeise (is that a
>word) setup - if there are no objections from the other contributors.
>I'll do this as a separate commit, that is if noone has serious issues
>with it.

I actually started doing this when the cinstall directory was first
introduced then realized, as I always do, that I hate automake.  For
me, it requires too much pain to get it to do anything that is
non-simple.  I haven't looked at it in a while, though, so maybe
things have changed.

Nevertheless, I have no objections to this.

cgf