Re: ITP: netpbm

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> So, I would like to see /usr/netpbm/bin.

But I don't want to go all-out on the "separate package tree" idea.

NO:
   /usr/netpbm/bin
   /usr/netpbm/lib
   /usr/netpbm/include
   /usr/netpbm/man
   /usr/netpbm/info
Blech!

YES:
   /usr/bin/netpbm/  << the only special case
   /usr/lib/
   /usr/include/
   /usr/man/
   /usr/info/

XFree86 has a long history of a fully separate tree, and autoconf macros
and suchlike have dealt with it for a long time.  OTOH, netpbm has no
such history (e.g. where to look for pbm.h?  where to look for
libpgm.a?) so development files should go in the "normal" place.  But
everything in the "normal" place under /usr/[lib,include,man], except
for binaries in /usr/netpbm/bin/ ?  That just offends my sense of
aesthetics...

Besides, we already have a history of /usr/bin/*/ that predates any of
the mandates on http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html : ncurses-test-dll/ etc.

--Chuck