Re: ordinal linking for cygwin ld

Martin Hollmichel wrote:

> Maybe you may look to openoffice.org how do the ensure that ordinals
> keep the same over some time. There's a tool named ldump (located in
> project tools, modules soltools) which keep's a database to keep the
> ordinals in track. Maybe this helps.

> at openoffice.org we're able to keep track of about 100 dll, maybe it's
> usable for 1000 also.

Well, if maintaining the .def files and ordinals is supported *from the
top* -- as seems to be the case in openoffice -- then it wouldn't be so
bad.  I was trying to do it, for the cygwin project, "downstream" of the
actual maintainers of certain unnamed packages

However, gcc only supports a subset of the .def file language that MSVC
does, so one would either need to maintain two different .def files, or
munge the cygwin/mingw one from the msvc one at build time (assuming the
msvc .def file was maintained by the "real" KDE folks using some tool
like yours).  OTOH, I've never heard of a mingw or MSVC port of kde, so
maybe KDE just needs cygwin .def files....

--Chuck