RE: Why is also Misc category installed for a fresh Cygwin install ?

As you say,
ccache should be a devel package, not misc. I missed that in Chris's
setup.hint. Chris - any objection to switching ccache to Devel?

As for requires, it cacn cache any compiler, so it doesn't require gcc.

Misc is always installed, as is base. When you have a local package dir
with no setup.ini, unknown packages go into misc and install be default.
This is by design.

Rob