Re: proposal for GNU emacs 21.2 package

Joe Buehler wrote:

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

What's there to figure out? Just pass "--enable-static" "--disable-shared" during the configuration phase. And boom, you get a static executable. If it builds shared, it will definitely build static. If needs be, you can tell it to explicitly use the static

The X11 libraries are shared-only, so this doesn't work.  Without
static versions of the X11 libraries, I don't think it's possible
to run gnu emacs without rebasing.
Sorry, I had intended this to go to the list but must of screwed up. And I guess I owe you another apology because I fogot that $#%@ X11 doesn't make both kinds of libraries for every dll. So I guess I stand corrected. *Sigh*, I do wish the XFree people would drop the antiquated Imake system and switch to autotools. I figure since it worked for the OpenMOTIF people it should work for XFree. Oh well, I guess I really don't know what to suggest.

No, it works in the windows gui, but not inside X. Anyhow, it really doesn't matter to me as I'm quite happy to continue using my Vi.

There's an X11 version of xemacs -- I've got it installed.  It's not
very reliable, though, so perhaps it is in development.
I guess, well again I stand corrected.

Since Christopher Faylor is opposed to duplicate dll's, how about this:
a front-end script to emacs to copy them to a temp directory
and rebase them on the fly, then invoke emacs?
I'll leave that one for him to answer.

Otherwise looks like this can't be done without the XFree86 package being rebuilt to
provide static libraries.
Either that, or if someone can crack the shell on how to get rebase to use bfd routines instead of imagehlp routines. Another suggestion is you might want to see how the XEmacs people handled those particular pointers [assuming they exist in that branch (I'm not up on the whole GNUEmacs vs. Xemacs bit)]. Or you could email RMS and tell him that his code is unacceptable and not cross platform.

Cheers,
Nicholas