Re: new libxml2 / libxslt packages?

alexl@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
I was wondering whether there were plans to release new versions of
libxml2 and libxslt.  The versions that are part of Cygnus now are all
rather old (by almost a year in the case of libxslt).

The current versions are:

 libxml2-2.4.23  Jul 22 2002
 libxslt-1.0.13  Mar 17 2002

The latest versions are:

 libxml2-2.5.1   Jan 08 2003
 libxslt-1.0.24  Jan 14 2003
I'm sure Robert's aware of this, but he's got enough to do without having to update these. They work quite fine at their current version, so I'll let him decide when it is appopriate to update.

Another issue is that the python binding requires some reworking in 2.5.1, because it currently contains some relocation issues which prevent it from properly linking. This could also be fixed with a newer ld, which supports pseudo relocations.

One other request to the packager would be to enable Python binding
support in libxslt (it's currently enabled in libxml2, but not
libxslt).
The same issue exists here, problems with arrays and such cause relocation problems at link time.

On a side note, I think it might be worth noting that turning pthreads "on" works quite well. It passes the test suite and I've noticed no side-effects other then a possible performance increase. If and when you do get around to updating the packages robert, perhaps you might considier turning them on.

Cheers,
Nicholas