Serious error compiling setup

I haven't compiled my copy of setup in a while but I Monday I made sure all my
packages and my CVS were up to date and decided to recompile my Setup and my
copy of cygwin.  I can get neither to compile on my Win2k Laptop which had been
working fine.  In another message I reported I found some broken links and
these I fixed by turning the Read Only attribute back on but it didn't seem to
help these problems although I thought it would.

When I try to compile setup I get the following:

+ /usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup/configure -C --enable-dependencies
--disabl
e-shared --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin CC=gcc -mno-cygwin
CXX=g+
+ -mno-cygwin CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/g++-3 --enable-maintainer-mode
configure: loading cache config.cache
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for i686-pc-mingw32-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking Whether to build inilint... no
checking Whether to enable rsync support... no
checking for i686-pc-mingw32-g++... g++ -mno-cygwin
checking for C++ compiler default output... configure: error: C++ compiler
canno
t create executables
check `config.log' for details.
~
$

In addition to the above I also receive while compiling setup a dialog box
titled 16bit MS-DOS SubSystem with the message:
g++
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:067f IP:017d OP:ff ff 75 13 8b CHoose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Having failed with setup I decided to try to compile cygwin I there I get the
following error:

+ /usr/develop/src/configure --enable-debugging --build=i686=pc-cygwin
--target=
i686-pc-cygwin --enable-haifa --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--sysconfdir=/etc
 --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/nonexistent/include
configure: error: cannot run /bin/bash /usr/develop/src/config.sub
~
$

I am more concerned with setup which is why I am posting in cygwin-apps but if
anyone has any ideas on either problem I sure would like to hear.

bk