Re: new libxml2 / libxslt packages?

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 14:42, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> RC> I hope to do a update-and-test run shortly. Updating these
> RC> packages tends to be a little painful, or I'd do it more often :}.
>
> I feel your pain from trying to compile them from source myself.
>
> Incidentally why is to so difficult to compile the original sources
> out-of-the-box?  If there are fixes you need to make (e.g. source or
> build files like Makefile.am, configure.in etc)., have you been
> feeding them back to Daniel Veillard so that he can put them in the
> mainline source?  The easier it is to build without mods on vanilla
> Cygwin, the easier it would be to test new releases of the pristine
> sources on Cygwin and reduce your load in packaging...

Check the changelog :]. Yes, I'm on the libx* lists, and routinely feed
some patches back after each cygwin release.

> If you want to send me a modified version of the most currently
> released source that should compile out-of-the-box with a simple
> configure/make/make install, I'd be happy to test them.

run setup.exe, tick the source tickbox beside libxml and libxslt.
That'll grab the source and the patches for the released version.

The problem is that libxml and libxslt need very recent autotools, and
daniel doesn't like autotools - thus updates rarely. In fact, until
recently the libtool we need wasn't even in pre-release mode.

..
> I'd be happy to try it, I really need to use the Python bindings to
> libxslt.  At the very least it's inconsistent to have Pythons bindings
> for the libxml2 package but not for libxslt... ;-)
>
> Does the building libxslt with  Python bindings simply not work, or
> are these bugs that show up after it's built and installed.

I don't think the libxslt python bindings existed when I last updated
the package :/.

Rob
--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.