RE: Can't install cygwin using setup - says completed sucessfully but no bin or var directories

Hi Christopher,

Thanks very much for replying.

>> Note that the CygWin setup MADE NO ATTEMPT TO DETECT THIS!!!
> Calm down.  Actually, Cygwin setup did detect this.  The OpenSSH
> installation apparently screwed up your mount table.

Sorry, I forgot that CAPS implies shouting. I meant only *emphasis* not an
attack!

I guess I don't understand your answer. Surely a successfull
LoadLibrary("cygwin1.dll") call would tell you there is another cygwin1.dll
on the system and this could be reported to the user, or logged somewhere?

> setup.exe had no way of knowing that your mount table was not set up to
your liking, so
it honored it.

I don't know what a mount table is on Windows.
But surely if the install is honoring a particular system config, then the
bin and var directories would have gone somewhere else on the system? They
did not.

All I know is that the installation finished with a message saying it
worked, no warning about possible DLL conflicts, and instructions to change
to a path that didn't exist, with no suggestions as to what to do!

> We're hard at work on the mind-reading plugin for setup.exe but it isn't
quite ready yet.

:-) Not required in this case!

Once the other version was removed, CygWin installed just fine and thanks
for the software. I am also a free software author and know what it's like
getting hassle for stuff you've given away (alteredworlds.com).

Thinking about it from the point of view of potential users, surely I
identified a problem that very many users might come into contact with, and
also suggested a valid solution?
I always used to be grateful to people who did this for my software...

I would bet that 90% of people installing this (in my case to look at
PostgreSQL) haven't the faintest clue what a mount table might be on
Windows, nor do they care - but whatever help they can get to make it work
is very gratefully received!

anyway, once again I have no desire to piss you off so hope this email
doesn't read that way.

take it easy,

Tom Gilbert