This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Default script installation
- From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
- To: "John Morrison" <john dot r dot morrison at ntlworld dot com>,<cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:49:10 -0000
- Subject: Re: Default script installation
- References: <NCEBJJFMCAOKNNABBFIMOEPFDBAA.email@example.com>
Forwarding to the list:
John Morrison wrote:
>> From: Max Bowsher
>> John Morrison wrote:
>>> Was anything ever decided about this? Pierre wants
>>> me to update the /etc/profile package which would
>>> be an ideal first candidate for this.
>> You can't guarantee that autodep packages will be installed at the
>> right time.
>> How about including a copy of the update-defaults postinstall script
>> in every package that installs files to /etc/defaults ?
> I didn't want to force folks to do anything :(
And now replying:
The autodep method just about works for Base packages, but is simply not an
option for any non-Base packages. So if any non-Base packages are to use
/etc/defaults/, it's really not feasible at all. The only options are:
1) Postinstall script in every package using /etc/defaults
(Not too much of a problem, surely? Just include 1 file. Note that a package
can include more than 1 postinstall script. No need even to merge into
existing - just include alongside)
2) Enhancement to setup.exe to handle 'triggers' of some kind.
Very unlikely to happen soon.