Re: Pending setup patches (issue 10)

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 23:51, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 23:38, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >
> >> I've prepared a list of changes from 2.249.2.10 to 2.332. (I took the
> >> ChangeLog, and stripped everything that was already on the branch)
> >> It's long!
> >>
> >> I was just about to "make snapshot" when your cvs commit notice
> >> arrived. I'll redo from 2.333.
> >
> > Thanks. I'll branch CVS tomorrow sometime and generate an RC.
>
> Is there any need to create a branch until there is a non-bugfix change
> ready for application?

There are non-bugfix changes all-but ready. branching is easy, and it
makes the RC version numbers distinctive.

> Holding off till then reduces merge work, and doesn't hold up development at
> all if we create the branch promptly when a non-bugfix does how up.

Merging is trivial. cvs diff > patchforhead before commiting a RC
bugfix, and then patch -p0 in HEAD followed by cvs ci.

> >> MD5summing takes *too long*!
> >>
> >> I've been running with it turned off in the source since I can
> >> remember!
> >
> > Well, it's better than nothing :}.
>
> No, seriously, I believe this issue is a release blocker.

I throw it open for review then. Personally, with a 110Mb local cache,
md5 checking took 18 seconds - from a reboot, so the disk cache was
empty.

I will *consider* patches to change this. The requirement is:
* don't show packages for local install that aren't available.
* corrupt package files aren't available.

Now, perhaps we should only check the md5's immediately before install,
and with the recent changes to not uninstall replacements with corrupt
packages, this is a feasible change.

Still, I strongly favour reliability over speed in this case.

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.