Re: a2ps download site

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Looks much better now.
> > A few more nits:
> > - The patch still has CRLF line endings.
> > - The .tar.gz file extracted from the source archive has executable bits
> set.
>
> This hasn't been rigourously checked for in the past.
> Does it matter? If so, someone needs to patch the "Contributing" webpage.

It probably doesn't matter, which is why I called them "nits" rather than
"problems".  I'm "nitpicking" :-D

> > - Why does the "all" step in the script perform the "spkg" and "pkg"
> > steps?  They are not needed for the build.  Neither is "finish", for that
> > matter.  (That may be an artifact of the build script, if so, ignore
> this).
>
> That's from the build script, so leave it as is.
>
> If you think about it, "all" from the perspective of a packager does
> logically include spkg, pkg and finish.

Yes, but then the build instructions in the README should not say
"./a2ps-4.12-1.sh all", but rather "./a2ps-4.12-1.sh prep &&
./a2ps-4.12-1.sh conf && ./a2ps-4.12-1.sh build && ./a2ps-4.12-1.sh
install".

> > - Is there a particular reason why the build is performed in-place, rather
> > than in a .build directory (which is created, BTW)?

Is this one usually checked for?  Does it matter?
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II