Re: RFD: A modest proposal #2: unsupported

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 07:38:03PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>[a reasonable position snipped]
>
>>Pragmatically speaking, this is what will happen.  I'm not even going
>>to add an IMO, since I think that all of this is a 100% certainty.
>
>Sure, there will undoubtedly be problems.  But it (unsupported/) will
>also bring benefits.  It's a matter of cost vs. benefit -- which is a
>value judgement, and not something we can prove one way or the other
>without trying it out.

The cost in this case is people with problems being unable to get help.
I wasn't necessarily shooting down the whole proposal.  I was just
saying that, as proposed, it didn't sound right.

>>So, count me as not liking this idea.  Sorry, Chuck.
>
>Okay, fair enough.  I've mumbled about this a number of times over the
>past few years, but never went to the effort of formally proposing it.
>I've done so, the benevolent dictator has opposed it; I won't press the
>issue.

Again, I'm not that much of a dictator.  I was expecting that there
would be some people leaping up in favor who might convince me this was
a good idea.  There are some other problems that I see with the proposal
and I was waiting to see if anyone raised them and offered suggestions.

>Now, about that /opt tree...

Sorry.  Haven't read it yet.

cgf