Re: ITP: ProFTPD

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:42:17PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I would like to contribute ProFTPD (http://www.proftpd.org/) to the
> standard Cygwin distribution.  I still need to touch up the README and
> do a little more testing, but the package is ready for voting and
> verification.
>
> See attached for the setup.hint file and the following for the tarballs:
>
>     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/proftpd/proftpd-20030513-1.tar.bz2
>     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/proftpd/proftpd-20030513-1-src.tar.bz2
> sdesc: "A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server"
> ldesc: "ProFTPD is an enhanced FTP server with a focus toward simplicity, security,
> and ease of configuration. It features a very Apache-like configuration
> syntax, and a highly customizable server infrastructure, including support for
> multiple 'virtual' FTP servers, anonymous FTP, and permission-based directory
> visibility."
> category: Net
> requires: cygwin libncurses6

Vote from me, too.

However, you should repack it.  I tried running proftpd from inetd and
it failed to work.  Then I started it from the command line and it turned
out that proftpd was unable to open its scoreboard... the /var/proftpd
directory was missing.  I'd suggest three changes:

- Add an empty /var/proftpd directory or let the postinstall script
  create it.

- Remove the empty /usr/man/cat* directories.

- Build against the latest libncurses7.

Other than that, it looks ok.

Red Hat, Inc.