RE: astksh review

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Karsten Fleischer wrote:

> > [...] whereas the build procedure Karsten
> > described for
> > the AST ksh sounds painful and non-obvious.
>
> What's wrong about configure/make?
> I described the things that go on afterwards and how _I_ build the
> package.
> You don't have to.
> Just the usual configure/make.

Karsten,

There is no problem with the regular configure/make (i.e., building the
default configuration of the package).  However, if I wanted to, say,
twiddle with the source and turn some features on/off, or experiment, or
even, say, insert debug printouts for some bug that manifests itself when
running shell scripts, it would be much easier to do so with pdksh -- I
think I understand most of the source (haven't looked at it in a while).

> We will take care that a correct GNU makefile is always there (at least
> for ksh93, the complete ast-open could be more problematic)
>
> I going to repackage ksh93 sometime this week. The package will contain
> a link to a web page that explains the build process in detail.
>
> Karsten

As an aside, it would be great if certain features/defines in the code
were turned on/off with configure's "--enable-*"/"--disable-*" options
(not sure if they are now, sounds like they aren't).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu