Re: naim review (was Re: Pending package status (14 Jul 2003))

On 2003-07-16T09:31+0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
) OK, I've found the problem. Setup's integrated tar code is rather
) oversensitive to magic numbers. Specifically, your naim tarball does not
) contain "ustar\040\040\0" at offset 257. Repacking with GNU tar is the short
) term fix. Long term, maybe setup could become more tolerant in its tar
) code - PTC. What kind of tar did you pack these packages with?

It was actually packaged on a Cygwin system, using its GNU tar 1.13.25.

tbz2: CYGWIN-PATCHES/dist
	mkdir "${top_builddir}/tmp"
	make install-strip DESTDIR="`cd ${top_builddir}/tmp; pwd`"
	(cd "${top_builddir}/tmp"; $(AMTAR) cof - --owner 0 --group 0 usr | bzip2 -9 -c >../${pkgtbz2})
	rm -rf "${top_builddir}/tmp"

The -o option I pulled from elsewhere in automake's generated files: all
automake-generated tar files (including the source tarballs generated by
"make dist") will be in that format as well:
  -o, --old-archive, --portability   write a V7 format archive

I believe it's done for compatibility with older versions of tar, and I
believe that is the format Solaris' tar uses as well. It's ironic that using
-o breaks setup.exe's tar routines :)

For the next release, should I remove the -o? Also, is there a way to run
setup.exe against a local file (not in any setup.ini) to check whether setup
can install the package? I'm thinking that could be the last step in the
packaging procedure, before uploading to a webserver/submitting to
cygwin-apps.

Thanks, all,
--
Daniel Reed <n@ml.org>	http://shell.n.ml.org/n/
It is so easy to miss pretty trivial solutions to problems deemed complicated.  The goal of a scientist is to find an interesting problem, and live off it for a while.  The goal of an engineer is to evade interesting problems :) -- Vadim Antonov <avg@kotovnik.com> on NANOG