Re: libiconv & gettext (many)

nwourms@netscape.net wrote:

cgf@redhat.com wrote:
[SNIP]
I had the same thought. I don't have any problems with the gradual adoption
of /usr/share/man, as long as the "man" command works with it, of course.

I wish we'd used /usr/share/man from the start, in fact. Oh well.

While we're at it, "It Would Be Nice" to start transitioning to bzip2 compressed manpages, now that our man supports them. This wasn't so much a problem when Cygwin had only a few packages, but now the man directory is starting to get a little "bloated". I'm not sure if our texinfo/pinfo supports them, but bzip2ing the info's would be great as well. Just a thought...

To follow up on this, I've gathered some statics based on a COMPLETE install of all current and testing packages. Bear in mind that I did this on FAT32, so the space savings won't be as good as it would be on NTFS. Also note that I did NOT recompress the gzipped manpages from the manpages package in bzip2 format.

/usr/man before compression:
~18MB (~33MB on disk for FAT32)

/usr/man after compression with `bzip2 -9`:
~6MB (~22MB on disk for FAT32)

Again, NTFS will likely show better results, but the results still show the advantages clearly. FWIW, I noticed absolutely no significant delay in displaying compressed manpages as compared to uncompressed manpages.

Cheers,
Nicholas