Re: [update] base-files

John,

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, John Morrison wrote:

> At last, a new version of base-files to try :)
> [snip]
> I've also added a test for id -ng = "mkpasswd" or = "mkgroup"
> along with a message.  Hopefully this might cut down on the number
> of "I have no user" messages :)

Did you also check for the "mkgroup_l_d" value?  There might be some more,
too -- Pierre would probably know right away; if he doesn't chime in, I'll
take a look at the code.

> If there's a similar test I can do for UID "out of range" I'd
> be happy to add that to.

I doubt you can check the *current* UID for being out of range, as the
numeric value returned is already truncated.  You could check if
/etc/passwd contains UID+65536 or UID+131072 (the most common case and the
next possible one) and issue a warning (with instructions to patch up
/etc/passwd) in that case...

FYI, we're working on a set of new tests in cygcheck, and checking
/etc/passwd and /etc/group planned as one of those tests.  If there's a
way to check whether the UIDs are 16-bit or 32-bit (other than checking
1.3 vs 1.5, which, now that I think of it, might also work), cygcheck
could then issue a warning if /etc/passwd contains UIDs > 64k.

One last note: any messages printed from postinstall scripts are not seen
by the user -- they go directly to setup.log.full.  So, if you want this
to be seen, we better either move this functionality to cygcheck, or
duplicate it there.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/