This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Updated sysvinit package available for upload
- From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
- To: "Sergey Okhapkin" <sos at sokhapkin dot dyndns dot org>,<cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:50:09 +0100
- Subject: Re: Updated sysvinit package available for upload
- References: <001401c3720e$f6750a80$2c01a8c0@sosxp>
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> What I don't like, though, is that init.exe is in /sbin.
>> Every other daemon is in /usr/sbin. Can't we move init to
>> /usr/sbin as well?
Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> Sure we can, but... Init have to be located on the root filesystem to be
> accessible at the boot time. /usr might point to a network mount in some
> installation. I'd like to follow FHS layout of other unixes.
In *other unixes*, yes. But the /usr vs. / divide is simply troublesome in
If we can work out a way of adding "/usr/sbin -> /sbin" to the default
mounts, without requiring manual intervention on existing Cygwin
installations, I suggest we do it.