This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: GIFs in the tcm binary package
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:09:03 -0700
- Subject: Re: GIFs in the tcm binary package
- Organization: My own little world...
- References: <ICEBIHGCEJIPLNMBNCMKKEAGCNAA.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Chris January wrote:
> Where does this patent apply? The relevant patent expired in the US and
> software patents are not (yet) valid in member countries in the EU.
It's still valid in Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan.
According to their site, at least.
I don't think you are infringing if you simply distribute GIFs. It's
software that uses the LZW algorithm that is covered, i.e. stuff that
creates (and presumably decodes) the format.