libungif - Depends on obsolete X libraries - Rebuild for approvalby maintainer

It was brought to my attention today that my WindowMaker package requires files in the XFree86-lib-compat package by its dependency on the libungif package. Note: I did not say that setup.exe knows about this dependency (that is another issue [1]).

The libungif package was last updated on 2002/07/14. Since that time the X library naming scheme was changed and the libraries in the XFree86-lib-compat package are going to be pulled from distribution within a week or two.

There was some discussion about updating the libungif package about a week ago but nothing has come of it yet. I have an interest in getting this fixed, so I have completed a rebuild of the package, fixing several errors that I discovered in the process. I have left the package as libungif-4.1.0 for now... the patches I made should also make the just released 4.1.2 package build fine (released 2004/03/02).

I am posting this for review by Lapo, the current maintainer of libungif. If Lapo approves, I will upload this ASAP.

Changes for libungif-4.1.0-3 ============================ 1) Rebuild against current X libraries; old build required XFree86-lib-compat package, which will be pulled from distribution soon after 2004/03/05. (Harold L Hunt II)

2) Added dependency on XFree86-bin in setup.hint. (Harold L Hunt II)

3) Fixed build script to clean the autom4te.cache directory in
'mkpatch' step. (Harold L Hunt II)

4) Fixed build script to ignore files generated by relibtoolize, since
this step will be performed on next rebuild.  (Harold L Hunt II)

5) Moved relibtoolize from 'conf' step to 'prep' step so it will only
be performed once.  (Harold L Hunt II)

6) Update build script to autodetect original source file compression
type.

7) Append $(EXEEXT) to COMPILABLE_EXTRAS in configure.in so that the
defined build rules in utils/Makefile.am are used instead of default
build rules (which results in certain includes not being found).
(Harold L Hunt II)

8) Add -no-undefined to libunfig_la_LDFLAGS in lib/Makefile.am to
enable building of a shared library (DLL).  It doesn't seem that the
patches described in the 4.1.0-2 release notes actually made it into
the -src package.  (Harold L Hunt II)

9) Move documentation from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc and limit files
copied to *.html, *.png, and *.txt.  (Harold L Hunt II)

10) Fixed quoting issue in setup.hint that was fixed on sources.redhat.com but not in the source package. (Harold L Hunt II)

Package for review ================== wget --non-verbose \ http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/release/libungif/\ libungif-4.1.0-3-src.tar.bz2 \ http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/release/libungif/\ libungif-4.1.0-3.tar.bz2 \ http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/release/libungif/setup.hint

I tested WindowMaker against this rebuild and it ran fine. I also checked the dependencies of wmaker.exe with cygcheck and noted that the dependency on libX11.dll was gone and replaced with cygX11-6.dll, which is as expected.

Harold

[1] Note: libungif-4.1.0-2, even though dependent upon files in XFree86-lib-compat, did not actually list that package as a dependency in its setup.hint; users that did not happen to have XFree86-lib-compat installed would get an error when libX11.dll could not be found and wmaker.exe would fail to run.