Re: Ready for test coreutils-5.2.0-1

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> --- Mark Blackburn <marklist<at>fangorn<dot>ca> wrote:
> > So I will delete the following:
> >   usr/bin/uptime.exe
> >   usr/bin/kill.exe
> >   usr/share/man/man1/uptime.1.gz
> >   usr/share/man/man1/kill.1.gz
> >
> > I will include the fileutils patches except the ones to src/copy.c and
> > lib/regex.c since they have no apparent effect.
> >
> > One final question: for now do I rename usr/bin/readlink.exe to
> > usr/bin/corereadlink.exe (ditto for [...]/man1/readlink.1.gz) or do I
> > leave them as is?
>
> Leave it as-is and have it rely on Chuck's new cygutils without
> readlink. These packages, and the empty *utils ones, will have to all
> be uploaded at the same time to avoid installation issues. (There will
> probably be some anyway, users downloading and reinstalling old versions
> and wondering what happened. C'est la vie.)

Not that simple, unfortunately.  Anyone installing coreutils first and
then installing the new version of cygutils (sans readlink) will have to
reinstall coreutils to get readlink back...  Maybe just putting a note in
the announcement would suffice, but somehow I doubt it...

> > BTW I have updated the setup.hint file:
> >
> > http://blackburn.homeip.net/cygwin-packages/release/coreutils/setup.hint
> >
> > sdesc: "Basic file, shell and text manipulation utilities."
> > ldesc: "The GNU Core Utilities are the basic file, shell and text manipulation
> > utilities of the GNU operating system. These are the core utilities which are
> > expected to exist on every operating system. Previously these utilities were
> > offered as three individual sets of GNU utilities, fileutils, shellutils, and
                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the official name is "sh-utils"...

> > textutils. Those three have been combined into a single set of utilities called
> > the coreutils. "
> > category: Base
> > requires: cygwin libiconv2 libint
> This is fine for testing, but don't forget to change it to include the empty
> obsoleted packages for the final version.

Umm, doesn't setup's .ini parser support a "Replaces:" tag?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu