Re: ANNOUNCE: cygbug - generic bug reporting tool (like Debianreportbug)

* Tue 2004-03-23 Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA <AT> public.gmane.org>
*
| On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 05:10:03PM +0200, Jari Aalto+mail.linux wrote:
|
| >It can be used to deliver messages to upstream developers concerning
| >cygwin related bugs.  It can also be used to send patches to other
| >Cugwin developer (I just sent one to ssmtp maintainer).
|
| "The ssmtp maintainer"?  So in other words, you're sending private email
| to people whom you deem to be the maintainer?  That's really counter to
| policy.

The maintainer information is read from installed *README files. If there
is some better way, let me know.

I contacted ssmtp maintainer for a small patch to solve the compiling
problem when additional ./configure options were used. I'll forward
further patches to this list as well.

| Also, you quoted my mail about bugzilla but didn't address the issue of how
| it would interrelate with bugzilla.

I cannot comment on it yet. I would imagine it would be bureaucratic
. Like debian reportbug, cygbug is quite easy and fast to use.
Granted, bugzilla gathers history and has features needed. I'll
investigate if program could interface to bugzilla, when it's used.

Hm. How would bugzilla deal with package maintenance shifts like those
found in Debian:

        RFA             Request for adoptation (who wan't to maintain THIS..)
        ORPHAN          Orphan a pacage

I modeled the program after Debian, so it could tackle those.

| Sorry, perhaps Corinna disagrees, but, so far, I don't see a need for this
| package.

I have found that it helps talking to upstream package author's when I
can track messages faster and easier. filters can be set based on the
Subject's bug id (Now: "Cygwin-bug#").

Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/