Re: ITP moratorium still in effect?

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:30:51PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, GARY VANSICKLE wrote:
>>>On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 03:05:11PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote: I'd
>>>also like to see a formal justification for why a package should be
>>>included, remembering that we have a "software" web page at cygwin.com
>>>which can be used to advertise packages that aren't quite up to snuff
>>>for the cygwin release.  I think we have accepted a couple of packages
>>>here which really only deserve to be advertised on the web site.
>>
>>Keep in mind that encouraging "unofficial" packages in this manner
>>will:
>>
>>1.  Result in more packages that aren't reviewed by anybody (e.g.
>>Harold) and hence don't meet necessary Cygwin requirements (esp.  FHS).
>
>AFAIK none of the http://cygwin.com/ported.html were ever reviewed.
>
>>2.  Ergo will result in messages to cygwin@ of the template: "<software
>>web-page package> totally screws up Cygwin".
>
>>4.  Ergo will result in long, unproductive cygwin@ threads trying to
>>tell the OP what one sentence could: "You're on your own with these
>>packages".
>
>For 2 and 4 you can make it clear on the above URL that such packages
>aren't official, and any discussion about them should take place on the
>application's mailing-list or directly with the authors.

The web page already says:

"The packags below are not officially supported Cygwin packages.  If you
have problems with any of these packages, please contact the owner of
the package for advice.  If this is not feasible, please make it clear
that you are referring to a third-party package when asking for help in
the cygwin mailing list."

cgf