Re: Some troubles encounted in preparing an official package

Hi, Gerrit

Thansk for your info.
But there's still some questions:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:18:35 +0200,
Gerrit P. Haase <gp@familiehaase.de> wrote:

> > 2. Need all patches be generated on .am files and use automake to
> > re-generate the .in files(such as Makefile.in, etc)?  In the past when
> > porting applications for cygnome and cygnome2, I used some workaround
> > on .in files.  But seem that some 'tricks'  could not be applied on
> > Makefile.am.
>
> Since the new automake and libtool needs to be compatible, I always
> change the .am files and then run
> 'autoreconf --force --install --verbose' to get them updated and to
> get the new libtool.

For example, I used to use dlltool to generate an export library for
sylpheed.exe, which is needed to build the plugins,
| sylpheed$(EXEEXT): $(sylpheed_OBJECTS) $(sylpheed_DEPENDENCIES)
|         @rm -f sylpheed$(EXEEXT)
|        @rm -f sylpheed.def sylpheed.base sylpheed.exp libsylpheed.a
.libs/libsylpheed.a
|        $(LINK) -shared $(sylpheed_LDFLAGS)
-Wl,--out-implib=libsylpheed.a -Wl,--export-all-symbols, \
| --exclude-symbols,main $(sylpheed_OBJECTS) -Wl,--no-whole-archive
$(sylpheed_LDADD) $(LIBS)
|        dlltool --output-def sylpheed.def --dllname sylpheed$(EXEEXT)
--export-all-symbols --exclude-symbols main $(sylpheed_OBJECTS)
gtk/.libs/libsylpheedgtk.a
|        $(LINK) $(sylpheed_LDFLAGS) -Wl,--base-file,sylpheed.base
$(sylpheed_OBJECTS) $(sylpheed_LDADD) $(LIBS)
|        dlltool --base-file sylpheed.base --input-def sylpheed.def
--output-exp sylpheed.exp
|        $(LINK) $(sylpheed_LDFLAGS) -Wl,sylpheed.exp
$(sylpheed_OBJECTS) $(sylpheed_LDADD) $(LIBS)
|       @cp libsylpheed.a .libs/libsylpheed.a

but how this could be achieved on Makefile.am?  I'm really a fool for
autoconf/automake.

> As long as the application works, all is allowed.  Is a shared library
> installed and can you verfiy it is working?

Yes, these two libraries (spamassassin.dll and spamassassin_gtk.dll)
would be installed, and they're working.  libtool just doesn't allow
one module depend on another (seems that it's affected by the option
'-module' in LDFLAGS)

The side effect of 'make -i'  is that other errors couldn't be
detected during install. I'll try to find some other workarounds.