Re: update - ccdoc 08.41 is ready for experimentation

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:06:21PM -0700, Joe Linoff wrote:

I am afraid that I am not sure what you mean by beta-test but I don't think that the program needs to be tested at all.

Any reason for sending this multiple times?

What everyone seems to be missing is this:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=ccdoc%2Fccdoc-0.8.39-1&grep=ccdoc

ccdoc is already part of the distribution.

That's what I mean by "beta test".  I don't understand why you'd send a
"ready for experimentation" message here.  Do you see any other messages
like that in this mailing list?

No, but the setup.html specifically refers to "experimentation" in step 9 of the "submitting a package" guidelines.

This version of ccdoc has been released to sourceforge and is already in the public domain.

The reason I submitted it to this group for approval was because I was bit confused by the cygwin submission documentation and wasn't sure whether I got the directory structures right in the tar files. Here is the directory structure for the binary release (ccdoc-08.41-1.tar.bz2):

Why are you having problems figuring out how to package this after having already provided it once before:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-02/msg00270.html

I'm thoroughly confused.  You are the package maintainer but you, and
everyone else are treating this like a new experience.

It is a new experience, sort of. This time I tried to the follow the http:://cygwin.com/setup.html instructions as closely as possible. In doing so, I ran across a number of things that appeared different than last time:

1. Version number appeared to be <major>.<minor>.
2. The patch file was supposed to be hard coded to /usr/src/foo-vendor-release.patch.
3. Binary release files went to /usr/share/man and /usr/share/doc.

I think that is where I got into trouble.

Cheers,

Joe

cgf

--
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.