Re: [ITP] shellsupport-1.2.4-1

Gary R. Van Sickle schrieb:
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Reini Urban wrote:

I want to maintain shellsupport, a simple (bourne) shell scripting support helper. It is a commandline C program that provides those features I miss when writing portable shell scripts, because they are not covered by other portable (Posix 1003.2) tools.

http://www.cons.org/cracauer/shellsupport.html
[snip]

Hmm, I don't see much need for a package like this in Cygwin, frankly, as most of the functionality *can* be accomplished using existing means.
See below.

accepted. esp. cgf's counter argument. (Mandrake, Fedora, Debian)

[snip]

That was my reaction as well.  I didn't really see anything that wasn't so
specialized that if you needed it, it was unreasonable to expect some
package to do it for you (i.e. arg permutation).

Reini, what exactly are the "features [you] miss" here?

I don't miss the features, which I can already do with a lot of
tricks. (See Igor's post).
But I found it useful to have such a collection in a single small exe, and have it documented.
Perl's useful motto: "There's more than one way to do it."
(I don't prefer acronyms)

Martin Cracauer wrote this while testing problems in shell's signal handling. And porting cmucl to all kind of interesting platforms.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/