Still hosed by setup problem

Well, now I am completely out of business!

This is more data regarding the "URL Scheme Not Registered" failure in SETUP, last reports were around 9/18.

In the last progress message posted before the crash, I spotted a package name (from gnome) that was one character short at the left-hand end. I did a search on that name and found that I still had a URL-named directory with a setup.ini in an old format - from cygnome.sf.net, IIRC. I removed that and tried again -- no luck.

Next I completely removed my local package repository and started with a new set of mirrors. Same ending.

Today, I chewed my foot off in hope of getting out of this trap. I expunged every bit of my cygwin installation, and the repository and started again -- the one thing I kept was my registry mount table.
I downloaded a batch -- probably everything (I let setup default). The download completes correctly, as far as I can tell.
Then "Install from Local Directory" -- BANG it immediately crashes with the "URL Scheme Not Registered" error.
Now that doesn't make much sense to me; if the download is completed, where does "URL Scheme" come into the picture?

Anyway, not much hope of getting anywhere now -- I have no cygwin at all.

I do, however, have a mingw32 installation, so I may be able to build a debug version and run it under mingw32-gdb. The last time, that didn't tell us anything.

Any information about where that error message originates would help.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard