Re: Cygwin, tcl/tk, and "native" [Was: Re: Interest in "native"Tcl/Tk/Expect/Itcl/... packages?]

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Charles Wilson wrote:

> In the interests of clarity, let's agree on some terminology:
>
> a "cygwin" version --
>   uses the cygwin1.dll for runtime services (like printf etc)
>
> a "native windows" version
>   uses msvcrt.dll for runtime services
>
> an "X" version
>   uses xlib calls to draw stuff on a display
>   this requires a xserver of some kind
>
> And here's the tricky one:
>
> a "GDI" version
>   uses the Windows Graphics Device Interface calls to draw
>      stuff on a display -- WITHOUT using an Xlib emulator.
>   no Xserver needed.
>
> ------------------
>
> Using these terms, what we already have is
>   cygwin, GDI
>
> ActiveState provides a
>   native, GDI
>
> What is being proposed is
>   cygwin, X

Hear, hear!

> Contrary to Jean-Sebastien Trottier's assertion, replacing the current
> "cygwin, GDI" implementation with the "native, GDI" ActiveState version
> will NOT satisfy the current requirements of insight/gdb and other
> existing cygwin packages.
>
> Somehow, a way must be found to have both a "cygwin, GDI" version of
> tcl/tk/etc and a "cygwin, X" version -- where both can coexist on the
> same machine seamlessly, making it easy to use for the end user and
> develop against for the developer.
>
> This is a hard problem, since it requires proper installation and
> handling of DLLs, import libs, configure scripts (/usr/lib/tclConfig.sh
> and /usr/lib/tkConfig.sh), and include files.  I am overjoyed to see
> someone interested in tackling the issue.

Rxvt already does this.  Do tk/itk make GDI calls that aren't covered by
rxvt's W11 library?  If so, wouldn't a more worthwhile investment of
effort be to extend the W11 library with the implementation of the
appropriate X11 calls (by plundering the tk/itk GDI implementation as
needed), and then use the W11 library in the same way as rxvt does.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw