setup.exe sucks

Strange choice of subject from me, huh?  Well, I just can't take
it anymore.

I'm tired of people complaining about how hard setup.exe is to use.

I'm tired of people reporting bugs with setup.exe which go unfixed
for months, or even years.

I'm tired of people reporting problems which are never answered or
not answered in anything close to a timely fashion.

I'm tired of people releasing their own version of cygwin packaging
because they were tired of "having to install everything".

You can't easily do unattended installations yet (although why anyone
would *want* to do unattended installations is still beyond me).

The UI apparently is incomprehensible to the common man.

I'll stop there.

As loath as I am to admit it, I think that setup.exe should be scrapped
in favor of one of the other setup projects out there.  We just aren't
doing a good job of keeping up in the innovation or the tech support
department.

I know the reasons that all of the above exist and I TRULY am not
blaming anyone for this state of affairs.  I think it is just time to
call an end to this program which everyone seems to struggle with and
work on providing something better.

People have previously offered other suggestions for setup utilities.
Does anyone have a favorite program that they think would be useful
for the cygwin project?

cgf