Re: cygwin-apps link documentation unclear

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 04:23:57PM -0800, John Sellers wrote:
>At  http://cygwin.com/lists.html are the instructions for using the
>mailing lists.
>
>The directions for cygwin-apps reads:
>
>"cygwin-apps <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/>: a subscriber-only list
>for discussing packaging issues regarding applications that are
>distributed with the Cygwin DLL. If you are maintaining or volunteering
>to maintain one of the packages that is distributed with the Cygwin net
>releases you should be subscribed to this list. This list is intended
>for discussing solutions. It is not (with one exception) for bug
>reports, "it would be nice", or "how do I" type of musings. Do not
>subsccribe to this mailing list to ask questions about packages. Use the
>main cygwin mailing list for that."
>
>"the main cygwin mailing list"  should be completely unambigous by using
>the exact name of the mailing list.
>
>Example:  I was not 100% sure that "the main cygwin mail list" is the
>mailing list called: "cygwin".
>
>This seems obvious, but seasoned users forget that newbees do not have a
>common context with those who post these instructions and strictly
>speaking, the main cygwin mail list could be named just about anything.
>
>Actually "the cygwin mailing list" would be better than "the main cygwin
>mailing list".

So, despite all of the words in the cygwin list, you still somehow thought
that this would be an interesting topic for cygwin-apps.

It's not.

FWIW, any reasonable person would look at all of the descriptions at
cygwin.com/lists.html and come to the conclusion that the only place to
discuss "all things related to ...  Cygwin" would be the mailing list
named "cygwin" which describes precisely what it is for.  Assuming that
"newbees" (sic) lack common sense but would be able to understand what
was meant by dropping the adjective "main" from a description doesn't
make much sense.

cgf