Re: plea for better sdesc lines

Lets see, GraphicsMagick, ImageMagick, WindowMaker, ddd, fvwm, lesstif, libsmi (was that me?), nedit, openbox, transfig, xfig, xfig-lib, xgraph (me???), and xterm. About 14 of 21.

Wow, looks like I'm the number-one offender. ;)

Harold

Brian Dessent wrote:
This is a request to all package maintainers to please check your
setup.hints for bogus 'sdesc' lines.  As you know, this is the text that
is displayed to the user when using setup.  It should not begin with the
name of the package, since setup displays it as "$package: $sdesc".  It
should also be more descriptive than just the name of the package,
because "foo: Foo" is almost useless to the user.  Surely you can
describe your package with a short phrase or sentence.

I wrote a small script that tests for these things as well as packages
that reference anything in ZZZRemovedPackages in their Requires.  The
output is below:

GraphicsMagick: sdesc contains only name of package
ImageMagick: sdesc contains only name of package
WindowMaker: sdesc contains only name of package
XmHTML: sdesc begins with name of package
ddd: sdesc contains only name of package
fvwm: sdesc contains only name of package
lesstif: sdesc contains only name of package
libsmi: sdesc contains only name of package
man: sdesc begins with name of package
nedit: sdesc contains only name of package
openbox: sdesc contains only name of package
opengl: sdesc begins with name of package
postgresql: sdesc begins with name of package
shutdown: sdesc begins with name of package
tetex-x11: references removed package in 'requires'
transfig: sdesc contains only name of package
x2x: sdesc contains only name of package
xfig: sdesc begins with name of package
xfig-lib: sdesc begins with name of package
xgraph: sdesc contains only name of package
xterm: sdesc begins with name of package

Brian