RE: Cannot build latest CVS setup

----Original Message----

  Nope, really, it does, let me demonstrate:

dk@mace /usr/build/apps/setup> cvs update
? configure.bad
? install.cc.latest
? install.cc.new
? install.cc.newer
? mirrors.txt
? res.rc.latest
? res.rc.new
M autoload.c
M msg.cc
dk@mace /usr/build/apps/setup> cvs update -dP
? configure.bad
? install.cc.latest
? install.cc.new
? install.cc.newer
? mirrors.txt
? res.rc.latest
? res.rc.new
M autoload.c
M msg.cc
cvs update: move away cfgaux/.direxists; it is in the way
C cfgaux/.direxists
dk@mace /usr/build/apps/setup>

> I can't confirm it now, since I've blown away the old
> checkout, but I believe CVS simply lost the entry for the cfgaux directory
> from the CVS/Entries file.  This caused it to believe that there was
> *another* cfgaux directory *in* CVS, and that my local copy was in the
> way.

  Nope, it'll happen every time, and the reason it'll happen is not because
CVS has lost the record for it.  Check this:

dk@mace /usr/build/apps/setup> cat .cvsignore
aclocal.m4
autom4te.cache
cfgaux
configure
configure.lineno
Makefile.in
dk@mace /usr/build/apps/setup>

  I feel you display remarkable aplomb at the notion that CVS might just
randomly lose entries in vital metadata files!  I would become rather
concerned about its reliability if I knew it did that!

    cheers,
      DaveK