This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Check for postinstall script failure in setup?
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:10:37 +0200
- Subject: Re: Check for postinstall script failure in setup?
- References: <Pine.GSO.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Jul 4 11:43, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> In a recent report (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-07/msg00089.html>)
> on the Cygwin list, I suspect the postinstall script for man silently
> failed, and nobody detected it (well, something was printed to the log,
> but who reads those?).
> Should we introduce a notion of failure for postinstall scripts? And have
> setup warn if some postinstall scripts failed? This will require
> postinstall scripts to either "set -e" or use other means to exit on
> error, and having setup check the error code.
> If this idea sounds reasonable, I could work on adding the code to setup.
> Without maintainer cooperation, however, this wouldn't be very useful,
> hence this post.
Sounds like a good plan to me and I guess a lot of postinstall scripts
will already return a non-0 exit code, for a start.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Hat, Inc.