Re: Not GTG (was Re: PING: Proposal for Boost 1.33.0 package)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Charles Wilson wrote:

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

I just had a look into the boost packages and from my point of view they are not GTG, for various reasons. - The Cygwin naming convention of DLLs is not used:
Boost obviously doesn't generate cyg- prefixed names, that would have to be fixed. But I can see precedence for not doing so in my /bin too. There are libpython2.4.dll, libW11.dll and libzsh-4.2.4.dll.

- The DLLs are not versioned. They are on Linux:
This is fixable. I have built the package with --layout=system. Using --layout=versioned instead makes them versioned.

- The naming convention for static and dynamic link libs is not used:
The naming convention is different because Boost generates or can generate many combinations of libs. Static/dynamic, multi threaded/single threaded, debug/release, with or witout debug info. I do not think it would be a good idea to try to force different naming convention just for Cygwin.

Hmmm...I built boost on cygwin a while back, and I seem to remember that the 'gcc' toolset "did the right thing" on cygwin (but I could be wrong). Is it possible that somebody broke the gcc toolset's cygwin support in the recent (last week) Boost-1.33 release?

--
Chuck

I am not sure but I think that Boost used to build import libs for Cygwin. Now it definitely doesn't do that. The libs when having lib- prefix are actually usable without import libs. I have no idea since when but the linker is now able to link directly to .dlls by generating the import library on the fly. That howerver doesn't help much. I have reported the missing import libs as a bug and described the reasons for it in http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1262967&group_id=7586&atid=107586

VH